Monday 8 August 2011

Captain's Log Supplemental!

I'm back from my hols!

Whilst I was away in the deep depths of Mattersey Thorpe I even managed to get in a couple of this months extras - I worked on my white bits and went skimpy out in Uncle Tony's garden while I was getting my hands dirty and weeding, I've got a lovely gardeners tan!

It was an absolutely lovely week at 5 star Thorpe House with Uncle Tom and Marley - lots of good fresh food (and dining Al Fresco!), great company and conversation, and some really good bargains from Retford charity shops (including more sparkly shoes!!) and I've come back feeling a lot more human again!

Marley even managed to get me on a bike - that's as far as it went though!  It was far too high for me and I couldn't reach anywhere near the ground (I did try to tell her that, as I regularly fall off my shoes, putting wheels under me wasn't such a good idea!), so Marley held on to the bike and attempted to push me round for a bit - much to the amusement of the local kids riding all around us (I'd have managed much better on one of their bikes I reckon!).  In the end I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing because I was laughing so hard so I gave it up as a bad job!

I moved on to Gainsborough on Thursday night and had a fabulous time with Nadine for a couple of nights, the first night we got a little tipsy and I decided it'd be a good idea to climb over the fence at the bottom of the garden (in the dark) and run through the fields (in the rain) to find the bottom of the tree we could see in the distance (to check out its potential as a picnic spot).  Ok, it was a little crazy but well worth it - I got soaked, nettle stings all round my ankles and bitten by god knows what (it made a right mess and is still all swollen and discoloured now!).................but the tree has excellent picnic potential!

Here're some pics of the sunset from the back garden (and the moon and the power station, oh, and the tree!).







On the second night Nadine took me to meet her friend Tracy (and husband Jeremy (aka Scruffy Bastard) and son James), they were all really lovely and we had a fantastic evening sat out drinking Mojito's and champagne - I think at one point I was trying to recite my two favourite pieces of writing............and made a total hash of it but apparently it was entertaining nonetheless! 

James, Scruffy Bastard and Nadine..................




I definitely felt the after effects the next morning though - luckily Nadine got me home to recover in record time (the journey home and the recovery!).  The last thing I needed when I got back though was to open the fridge and have the door fall off in my hands - it was very funny though, Nadine's face was an absolute picture! 

There's something strangely reassuring about coming back to the usual little disasters though (phone was also dead and internet had been disconnected!) - ah yes, there you are life, it's good to be back!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment