Saturday 17 September 2011

Make the Impossible Possible!

Haha!

So, Boss was threatening to send me a sardine because my latest nickname is Flipper (the threat of a sardine in the post was mildly preferable to the bizarre phone call - I wasn't sure whether he was doing an impression of an aquatic animal, Skippy the kangaroo or whether the bizarre noises were a prelude to the sort of conversation you generally need a whistle for!)..................

Just over a week ago I Made the Impossible Possible - I learnt to swim (hence the Flipper nickname)!!

I've always had a deep fear of drowning but have also always loved being in the water (weird huh?) so when Louise and I had to stay overnight at a hotel in Wales we thought we'd take the opportunity to make use of the pool and sauna - as you do!

So, there I am bobbing about in the shallow end whilst Louise headed off to the other end - turns out there was no shallow end, the entire pool was the same depth.  The removal of the fear of getting out of my depth was the catalyst so when Louise said 'it's easy really you just do this' and gracefully launched herself off through the water I thought 'well why not (which is totally different to my usual life tagline 'will this complicate my life.........let's do it!')'!

To my utter amazement.............I actually float!  Mine was a much less graceful effort but I succesfully made it to the other end, then spent the next half an hour traversing the length of the pool backwards and forwards!

I then insisted on a pre meeting swim the next morning - just to check that it wasn't some sort of fluke.

I suppose you could also say that, based on a youth spent running down railway tracks (don't do it) and sticking a knife in the sandwich toaster and holding on to something metal so the current flows through you (also not advisable), the fact that today I reached the grand old age of 35 could also be classed as Making the Impossible Possible!

.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment