Tuesday 2 October 2012

Nearly there...


Today was The Best Day Ever!

Well, ok, maybe not (I still live in hope that the best is yet to come) but it sure felt up there with some of the best.

Today I made the final payment on the 5 year loan I was left holding the bag with 2 years and 10 months ago - yep, that's right I paid it off 2 years and 2 months early.

I feel very, very proud of myself.  It's been quite a journey over the last 34 months, I've scrimped, saved, done without, starved myself, half frozen to death, conserved water in the most ridiculous ways imaginable, cried, spent many terrified sleepless nights and, at times, lived (and I use the word in its most basic terms) like a hermit.

Having said that...as proud as I am of myself I'm also incredibly grateful to the friends and family who've sympathised and supported (and subsidised) me throughout.  In all seriousness I couldn't have done it without you.

So, I'm going to tie in 'Nearly There...' with 'Tell Your Friends How Wonderful They Are Day'...

Pops and Olive - for the other loan, the quiche (some things stick in your memory forever), the winter duvet and for driving me between mine and yours because you know I'd struggle with the train fare.
Bernie and John - for ferrying me about when I've needed it, taking me out (again when I've needed it!), feeding me countless times and for looking after me, my cats and my home when I was in hospital and poorly for so long afterwards.
Kevin and Ray - for always including me in the invites (when many would be put off by the frequent declines), for the civilised (and not so civillised!) evenings, feeding me on inumerable occassions and for the food packages which I've learnt, finally, to gracefully accept in the spirit in which they are given.
Helen and Bill - for the many lovely evenings I've shared at Chez Slimmon, again for feeding me (there seems to be a theme developing here), for understanding that I've not been able to see you as often as I'd like, for letting me cry on your shoulder and for Picnic in the Park Day ;-)
Nadine - for my beautiful 'believe' ring, for the many times you've insisted on taking me out (apart from when I'm wearing my panda hat), for the shared money saving tips and for the lift to uncle Tom's and back again (in half the time!).
Debbie and Elaine - for the many glasses of wine, daily support and willingness to try whatever 'cheap' entertainment I can come up with!
Webby - for indulging my KFC craving, the lifts to the cemetery and Morrisions, vodka, soap operas and whinging on the sofa!
Charlie and Simon - for the beer, the music and the abuse!

I know I've missed people out and I also know those that I have mentioned haven't been credited nearly enough for all they've done but hopefully you get my drift.

There's still the credit card which got me through the last 2 Christmas's, family members and the overdraft to pay off but the relief at getting this one out of the way is immense - not only because of the financial shadow it's cast over me but also because of the emotional baggage that came with it.

This time next year (Rodney), in fact this time in April (Rodney) we'll be...

IN THE BLACK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment