Monday 18 February 2013

Experimental Cooking Day!

Shrove Tuesday but no pancakes - been there and done that!

We've already had Eastern cooking,  cooking with equipment not usually used for cooking and battering and deep frying things which shouldn't be battered and deep fried so this year I chose to finally make use of the little jelly moulds Aunty Betty gave me and fill them with jelly and things you wouldn't normally expect to find in jelly!

Webby took over the actual jelly making (aparently I wasn't doing it right?) while I organised which jelly was going to go with which added ingredient (because Webby failed to see the importance of getting this bit right!).  We were scoring each jelly on 3 things, taste, texture and appearance.

 
1) Layered (pink, blue, white, purple) cake sprinkles in Blackcurrant jelly

 
This was not successful, the jelly itself worked really well in this mould but when it was tipped out it just left all the sprinkles in a soggy mess in the bottom.

 
So, this one was kind of voided as it was just blackcurrant jelly.  Webby scored it 0 for appearance but I was impressed with bottom jelly bit so I gave it a generous 8.


 2) Jelly tots in strawberry jelly


 
Disaster!  The tots stuck in the bottom of the mould (Webby did pick them all out and placed them back on the jelly for the tasting)

 
I went for the a spoonful of jelly with a green tot and was pleased that the lime flavour had survived.  Webby gave 8 for taste, 8 for texture and 2 for appearance.  I gave 9 for taste, 8 for texture and 3 for appearance.

 
3) Tinned sweetcorn and mixed veg in blackcurrant jelly

 
This was disgusting, Webby spat it out but I toughed it out and managed to finish.  Webby gave 2 for taste, 2 for texture and 2 for looks.  I gave 2 for taste, 2 for texture and 3 for appearance.

 
4) Dry roasted peanuts in strawberry jelly

 
Also disgusting, in fact this one made both of us gag and we both spat it out.  When you think about it though it's not that different from peanut butter and jam which they put in sandwiches in the good ole US of A.  It was 0 from both of us for taste and texture and a 7 from Webby for appearance with an 8 from me (this held the shape of the mould really well!)

 
5) Hot dog sausage in strawberry jelly

 
Unfortunately things didn't get any better - this combination didn't work at all and also ended up spat out in the sink. 0 again for taste and texture from both of us with 2 for appearance from Webby and 4 from me. 

 
6) Cottage cheese in orange jelly

 
Ugh.  Although Webby actually liked this one (despite it being the one he was dreading the most) and went back for a second spoonful!  Taste was 7, texture 8 and appearance 2 from Webby and 5, 2 and 1 respectively from me.

 
7) Pea in orange jelly

 
I thought this one looked amazing! Tasted absolutely vile though and was hastily spat out in the sink!  I gave it 10 for appearance, 0 for taste and texture and Webby scored it 8, 1 and 1.

 
8) Prawns in lime jelly

 
This one just looked like something alien - which pretty much sums up the taste too!  I managed to keep it in my mouth at least which is better than Webby's attempt - 5 for appearance and 1 for taste from Webby, 6 and 1 from me and we were both in agreement that the texture was just wrong.

 
9) Dried chilli flakes in lime jelly

 
Looked very pretty but was very hot (and dry!)!  I gave it a 9 for looks, 7 for texture and 5 for taste, Webby gave 7, 6 and 6.

 
10) Pickled onions in lime jelly

 
Also looked alien (but in a good way!) but just tasted bizarre, I toughed this one out again while Webby disposed of it in the sink fairly quickly!  6 for taste from me, 9 for appearance and 5 for texture. 3, 5 and 3 from Webby.

 
And here's picture of my pretty (ish) jelly city!

 
And how it looked after the tastings (be very grateful I didn't take a photo of the sink!)

 
With a bit of luck there'll be an Experimental Cooking Day 2 later this year (if it can be arranged) which will be much more palatable than this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment